This section of Sam Claflin Web is a collection of quotes straight from Sam’s mouth, or quotes on him by other celebrities, friends and family. We have sorted the quotes into separate categories, which you can view below. For quotes from Sam’s characters in his film productions and TV series, head over to our career section. Each of his projects has it’s own page featuring lines from the film.
Please not: We’ve worked very hard on this page, gathering quotes from interviews, video clips and more, and would appriciate it if our hard work was not to be republished anywhere else. .
On Life & Childhood
- “I’ve lived with boys and girls and I find that boys are generally cleaner than girls. Generally! This is a big generalisation! No, I’m very clean. Just to put that out there.”
On His Films & TV Series
- (On his hair in “White Heat”) “I wish it was mine! It’s of the time, I’m told. It’s a weft. I had no idea what a weft was before we started – it’s become the bane of my life now! They’re basically like clip-on things but they glue them to my hair or my head… I feel like such a diva sitting there having all my make up and hair done! But I’m not the only one, so no complaints.”
- (On his favorite look in “White Heat”) “1968, I think for me. It’s a bit more grungy, no flared tight jeans, and a bit shorter hair. Only a bit shorter.”
- (On his Character in “White Heat”) I think he follows through as far as he can but I think he lets himself down at each hurdle. It’s usually over himself – he isn’t completely in control of himself and therefore lets himself down in moments. But he can never foresee that, and usually it’s Charlotte who tries to push him in the right direction.”
- (On playing an older character than himself in “White Heat”) “It makes me very red-raw at the end of the day. It makes me feel 40 years old when I’m taking it off, actually! But like Claire mentioned, the make up and the costumes really help you feel a lot slower in your body and the physicality changes.”
- (On the relationship between Jack and Charlotte – White Heat) “It does get a little bit tedious on her part, bless her! I think he likes to think that he gets everything that he wants and I think the mentality of his childhood and probably being given everything he wanted as a kid, I think he continues to live life like that really. So if he wants her, he’ll have her. If he doesn’t want her, she can wait outside while he has somebody else! He’s like that.”
- (On White Heat) “This is like the new Lord of the Rings! I think there are always similarities but hopefully we’ll bring something very fresh and new and I think the fact that we’re all very young, and we seem to get on really well, there’s a lovely dynamic between us as people as well as actors as well as the characters, so hopefully we’ll be able to portray that.”
- (On What might have happend with his Character in POTC after the ending) “I cant tell you really. It’s hard, I’m open to new ideas. I’ve got literally no idea, no one’s sort of spoken to me about it. Obviously the writers said to me, ‘what do you think happened?’ And I’ve got so many sort of potential options. What I’d love to have happen,” the actor quipped, “is that Philip becomes a mercenary, and starts killing loads of people, just to change the character up a bit. But it’s really left very open-ended, and it’s amazing that so many people have asked the same question.”
- (On getting a role in POTC ) “Every time we went to a new set,every time we met a new character…You kind of have to pinch yourself.”
- (On working with famous stars in POTC) Everyone approaches the text very differently. Everyone approaches the characters very differently. Seeing Geoffrey walking around (even off-set) with a crutch and a peg leg trying to get into the mode of walking was incredible. So technically all of them are so incredible to watch.
On Career & Fame
- (On Johnny Depp) “Johnny gave me the advice for life to stay grounded and never forget where I came from. He’s so down to earth. For me, I have one scene that is pretty much just me and him, which is us sitting at the edge of the water and me washing myself and he’s saying, ‘What can I do to go to the land where all the goody-goody’s go?’ and I say, ‘You can convert.’ But during the time in between takes, he was sitting on the edge of a rock and someone called his name so as he stood up, right next to him there was a huge hole and he fell straight down the hole and it sunk, sunk, sunk. Now obviously everyone was like, ‘Oh my God, Johnny Depp has just fallen in, is he okay?!’ And he just got out like, as cool as a cucumber, just as you would imagine that Johnny Depp would be, and he just said, ‘I’m okay…Yeah, there’s a hole here, in case you were looking for it…I found it, it’s here.’ He’s just so gracious and generous and hilarious and so exciting to watch. Such an inspiration and hero of mine.”
Others on him